The explanation for one of my favorite passages from my second-favorite book.
1) You have no idea how hardcore Harriet Tubman was. Here’s to the new face gracing the $20-bill. (The Washington Post)
2) I’ve been looking for a pair of olive chinos, and I think these Gap ones are the thing. Plus-size? Try these canvas pants from LL Bean.
3) How to graciously accept a compliment. (Fast Company)
4) Saks is having a Friends and Family sale on select items. This Elie Tahari Shannon sheath is perfect for work. The timeless Black Halo Jackie O dress is also significantly discounted.
5) The art of storytelling according to StoryCorps and Humans of New York. (An oldie, but goodie.) (Ted)
6) I usually don’t like small purses, but this Karen Walker Mae Mini Satchel is the coolest. For something cheaper, try this coral vertical buckles crossbody from Target.
7) America is increasingly moving to the cities. This new map of a metropolis-driven nation is a bit terrifying for those of us from the sticks. (The New York Times)
8) This $6 e.l.f. Mineral Infused Face Primer is an amazing drugstore buy. Comes in brightening formula for those who struggle with dull skin.
9) Rub these two things on your teeth to make them whiter naturally. (Marie Claire)
10) The place for casual spring dresses is Boden. I bought their slub tee dress last year, and I’ll be picking up another color. This printed Dolly dress is a versatile option for the office.
11) How a Senator used Facebook to influence employees in one D.C. building. (Fusion)
12) Is it strange that I saw this Coco-Cola Lipsmackers collection and needed to buy it if only for the nostalgia? Just a little? Great. These Lancome ‘Juicy Shaker’ lip glosses are the adult equivalent.
*image found here.
H&M Patterned Satin Blouse ($25) // Limited Envelope Neck Top ($39) // Factory Lace Shirt ($55) // Bobeau Bell Sleeve Top ($48) // H&M Sleeveless Chiffon Blouse ($25)
I need a few blouses and tops to tide me over through summer. I’m good on skirts and dresses, but tops always seem to be the thing I’m missing. Here are a few affordable choices and some tips on how to wear them.
One. The understated animal print on this top is adorable. I’d wear this blouse with a colored trouser. I also wouldn’t tuck it in because the layered accent at the bottom should show. Try these Campbell trousers in ‘dark cobalt’ with a sleek, black necklace.
Two. These envelope tops from Limited are some of my faves. I love the neckline for those of us who weren’t graced with a large bust. I would wear this one on casual Friday with a pair of trouser jeans and a belted cardigan, like this pretty one from Boden.
Three. Red lace is a bold choice for the office, but doable with the right separates. For a more understated look, try a navy inverted-pleated skirt and simple jewelry. For a bolder look, I would try this $25 scalloped-edge coral pencil skirt from JCPenney. Try flesh-toned shoes with both looks.
Four. The bell sleeves on this top are so much fun. I would tuck this blouse into this extremely chic and unique Lavish skirt. It’s pale pink with a tie waist, and will add a dramatic flair to the outfit.
Five. This sleeveless blouse with a delicate black ruffle on the collar is a classic. I would pair it with this full, white skirt from the Dreslyn. I would also wear a black crewneck cardigan and a pair of pearls to keep the whole look very Jackie O.
Any outfit ideas to share with the class? Leave them in the comments!
1) Professional, stable, competent, and addicted to overspending. (Marie Claire)
2) Wedges are my favorite spring work shoe. This on-sale Cole Haan Catalina Wedge is a favorite. For something under-$50, try these Liz Claiborne wedges from JCPenney.
3) How to turn your piles of business cards into usable networking tools. (Levo League)
4) Need dresses for casual Friday? This Diamond Tie Waist dress from LOFT is perfect. Their wrap-effect dress in sapphire is also a winner. Plus-size? This color block tunic dress from Eloquii is fun.
5) Why even if you’re working more than 50-hours a week, you may not be getting more done. And how the people who keep the long hours are ruining it for the rest of us. (Lifehacker; Billfold)
6) This soft trench from Ralph Lauren comes in pale grey, khaki, or blush. This coppery-brown car coat from ASOS is a sophisticated topper (also in petites).
7) Are young people losing out because they don’t change jobs enough? (Buzzfeed)
8) This Deborrah Lippmann Earth Angel nail polish has the coolest dusty rose hue. I also like this inexpensive Sally Hansen polish in Mauve Over.
9) In defense of political parties–the factions in politics serve a real purpose, even if it isn’t always obvious. (The New Yorker)
10) Bloomingdale’s is having a crazy sale. 30-percent off some items, and $25 off of $100 for most purchases, plus free shipping. Maybe I finally pull the trigger on this Annabell Ingall tote?
11) No time for the gym? 21 awesome online workouts. (The Everygirl)
12) The weather is so unpredictable this spring. April showers need this clear Kate Spade umbrella.
*image found here.
The blog’s servers are undergoing some emergency maintenance. There are posts written. Once the blog is fully operational, the posts should go up automatically.
See you then. Belle
P.S. If you’ve sent me an e-mail recently, I likely have not responded. And by recently, I mean since Christmas. Post-graduation, I’ll start chipping away at the pile of mail.
1) “My co-worker threatened to tell my boss that I’m job hunting.” (Forbes)
2) This white, layered skirt from The Limited and this mint green asymmetrical skirt are affordable must-haves.
3) The First Lady Who Made Her Own Contraband Makeup. (The Cut)
4) These Ale by Alessandra sandals are the coolest I’ve seen in years. (They must be mine.) These brightly colored tassel sandals from J.Crew also look good.
5) Why millennials work the way they do, and how to behave if you want to retain them. (AdWeek)
6) The Outnet has some lovely new arrivals. I like this neutral Equipment Otis top. This red Sandro cocktail dress is also a lot of fun. This Iris & Ink off-the-shoulder dress is not to be missed.
7) What exactly does it mean to be an ‘independent’ voter? Or how a misunderstanding fuels the growth of a political party. (LA Times)
8) I picked up this Ted Baker Abrial dress for graduation, and it is sublime. His color block dress with tie belt is also fab.
9) A roundup of amazing spring shoes, which definitely should have featured these chic M.Gemi Brezza flats. (Racked)
10) Anthropologie is selling the chicest beach towel in all the land. Pair it with this one-piece twist-front suit for some old Hollywood glamour.
11) A Facebook meme claims this man is the last survivor of his WWII battle group. But who is he, really? (BBC)
12) This floral print flare dress from WHBM is one of the prettiest spring dresses that I’ve seen this season. Florals, for spring, groundbreaking…
*image found here.