In the United States, a three-day weekend means holiday shopping. Here are a few of the retailers that are offering discounts and deals, and my favorite picks from their sales. Prices are before additional markdowns.
Nordstrom Half-Yearly Sale // Deep discounts throughout the store on in-season items //
Belle’s Picks. Read this post for my best picks from the sale. Also, if you use Philosophy skincare products, there is a phenomenal sale on those items.
Club Monaco // 30-percent-off sale and clearance //
Belle’s Picks. This Tika Dress ($159) with subtle side cut-outs would be great for a wedding. I also like this ivory Natly blouse ($129) for the office. This printed, a-line Belka skirt ($129) is also a fun piece.
Bloomingdale’s // Extra 20-percent-off sale with code SPRING20 //
Belle’s Picks. The best deals from this sales are on handbags, without question. The Minkoff Mini-MAC crossbody is $136. Minkoff’s versatile MAB Tote in smoke grey is $185. And this gorgeous, raspberry Kors wristlet (with room for a cell phone) is $68.
Rebecca Taylor // Extra 25-percent-off sale with code SALE25 //
Belle’s Picks. This navy dress with black lace sleeves ($319) is freaking goregeous. I also love this white, jersey jacket ($249) for the office. Also, this short-sleeve cobalt knit dress ($149) is adorbs.
Other Sales // Express has 40-percent-off everything. // Barney’s Warehouse has an additional 50-percent-off all clearance items (happy hunting!). // Velvet by Graham and Spencer has 30-percent-off weekend sale with code LONGWEEKEND15.
If you’ve ever been to the Capital Grille on Pennsylvania Avenue, you’ve probably had a Stoli Doli. The drink consists of pineapple slices stacked inside a glass beverage container and then immersed in Stolichnaya vodka. Need a real recipe? Check out this Food.com post.
This is a great cocktail for summer gatherings. Just serve it over ice in a highball instead of in a martini glass.
Adelyn Rae Cotton Dress ($149)
I adore light, white dresses for summer. They’re so breezy and chic. Like the wearer should be running through a field of wildflowers or walking barefoot on the beach…or drinking in her backyard on a sunny day. Everyone’s dreams are different.
I love this fully lined lace dress from Nordstrom. This Lucky Brand cap-sleeve dress is another lovely piece. I also like this Ralph Lauren dress with sheer stripes.
Looking for something under-$100? This Urban Outfitters dress would look great with a belt, or over a swimsuit. I also wouldn’t miss this inexpensive dress from Old Navy.
Plus-size? This Alice + You maxi is really cute. Petite or Tall? This Gap slip maxi is nice.
Lots of great articles today. Thanks to everyone who sent one in.
1) Vox covers why expensive wine is for suckers. And Digg has an interesting video on ‘The Sherlock Holmes of Wine’ who authenticates bottles of really expensive wine.
2) This sleeveless dress in pale lilac with a charcoal waistband … oh.my.heavens.
3) With Amal Clooney, We Finally Have a Consummate Feminist Superhero, Let’s Not Ruin It. (So great.)
4) Elizabeth and James makes the best rings. This Stella Ring Set is sublime. I love the pop of color on this enamel band ring. And this open Serra ring is lovely and simple.
5) I agree with all of the topics discussed in “The Most Important Lessons I’ve Learned After College.”
6) Bloomingdale’s is having an incredible sale. You can pick up the chic Black Halo Jackie dress for 40%-off.
7) Anthropologie’s sales grew by a meager one-percent, but they pinpointed the problem: no one loved their dresses. My take? Most of the dresses were gorgeous, but with barely a thing under-$150, too expensive.
8) This $18 midi-dress is perfect for the weekends.
9) Some are suggesting that the best way to remedy the wage gap is to ban salary negotiations. The Washington Post discusses why that idea isn’t all it’s cracked up to be.
10) Summer sweaters are a thing. I adore this side-slit sweater from Madewell, and this gorgeous crochet-trim cardi from LOFT.
11) When a 37-year-old actress is told that she’s too old to play the love interest of a 55-year-old man.
*image found here.
1) While Fast Company talks about how to love your job every day, The Washington Post reminds you that you don’t have to.
2) Target has some great, inexpensive cardigans. They offer this short-sleeve cardi and this crewneck cardi in multiple colors. And I love this long, pale grey cardigan for keeping warm in the office.
3) Find out what your name would be if you were born today. (Super fun.)
4) I tried on this Joie printed skirt at Nordstrom last week–how is it 55%-off at The Outnet today? I love the soft pastels.
5) Levo League offers advice on how to follow your gut when making a big decision.
6) I think the Mulberry Willow tote with the detachable clutch is brilliant. I’ve been hoping this idea would trickle down to the lower price points. This Tory Burch is still pricey at $595, but it’s two chic bags in one. I hope a designer will make a similar bag in the $150-ish region soon.
7) Can you steal an education? The curious case of a family who may have lied to get their daughter into a better public school.
8) When I was watching Full House in the ’90s, I never could have imagined that one day the Olsen twins would grow up to make incredibly sexy dresses.
9) Billy Crystal takes on the topic of athletes as role models. The end result is a funny and timely video.
*image found here.