The Workday Reading: July 11, 2017

***

1) What to do when your heart isn’t in your work anymore. (HBR)

2) It’s Amazon Prime Day.  I bought a $49 wrap dress and these luggage cubes.

3) 25 incredible women talk about their all-time favorite books. This is mine. (The Cut)

4) Ruffles are everywhere.  I love the pretty details on this cardigan and this printed top.

5) Are women partly to blame for the shortage of men in ‘pink jobs’? (CNBC)

6) ASOS Musts: a Broderie trim blouse, a floral wrap dress, a polka-dot v-neck.

7) Dry shampoo is an absolute scam. (Racked)

8) Need a post-workout/chilly office/airplane topper? Try this jersey cardigan or this knit jacket.

9) An HR Manager tells you exactly what your cover letter should include. (My Domaine)

10) The Knocked-Up baby bag is the ideal work bag.  Just add padded laptop sleeve.

11) More women are running for office, but will they succeed? (CNN)

12) These Shashi geometric chandeliers add a kick to your cocktail attire.

13) Marcus Aurelius’s best leadership advice (weirdly found on Pinterest).

***

What I’m Watching. The Defiant Ones.

What I’m Reading. After the Fall of Mosul: What’s Next for ISIS?

What I’m Trying. Frederic Fekkai’s Full Blown Volume Shampoo/Conditioner.

What Made Me Clap. Refusing to be reduced to “pregnant wife.”

[Source of the image. Story behind the quote.]

You Might Also Like

Previous Story
Next Story

14 Comment

1. Reply
    Valerie
    July 11, 2017 at 2:56 pm

Love the Shashi earrings. Going to buy them for my sister’s birthday gift and am tempted to get a pair of my own 😉

2. Reply
    AB
    July 11, 2017 at 3:49 pm

We watched Defiant Ones last night. It’s definitely worth watching! The history, backstories, and commentary are great.

1. Reply
      Belle
      July 11, 2017 at 4:09 pm

I was like, let me get this straight, he produced Springsteen, stevie nicks, dre, 2pac, no doubt, etc., etc. etc. and you founded Beats by Dre.? I need this man to be my mentor.

3. Reply
    Anna
    July 11, 2017 at 3:50 pm

Dry shampoo might make my hair look less greasy for a day, but then it’s a pain in the butt to wash out.

1. Reply
      Belle
      July 11, 2017 at 4:10 pm

It’s a lifesaver for updos, but if I want to wear it down, I just wash it.

2. Reply
      e
      July 11, 2017 at 4:20 pm

I have curly hair and spring for a blow out maybe 2 – 3 times a year, and it is DEFINITELY worth it for the extra day or two I get by spraying it before going to bed and then brushing it out in the morning. To each her own!

1. Reply
        Anna
        July 12, 2017 at 11:31 am

Yep. It might totally depend on hair type too. When I use it with my hair down, it’ll look better for maybe an extra 2-3 hours but by mid-day my hair is weighed down and blah looking. It’s definitely helpful for adding volume for updos when my hair is greasy though.

4. Reply
    Katie C.
    July 11, 2017 at 6:02 pm

I LOVE this dry shampoo: http://www.sephora.com/jet-lag-invisible-dry-shampoo-P419625. I agree with Belle that it’s definitely better for up-dos, but with this one I can get an extra day of wearing my hair down–to work! I still rinse my hair with water in the shower, though, and blow dry. I’ve definitely noticed that my hair is silkier since I started washing less frequently.

5. Reply
    Whitney
    July 12, 2017 at 8:39 am

Picked up Slouching Toward Bethlehem on your recommendation. Can’t thank you enough! I’m now on my third Joan Didion book and I love her.

6. Reply
    Angie Anspach
    July 12, 2017 at 10:44 am

Hey Belle! I haven’t gotten your email for a few weeks and was worried. Thank goodness it was in my in box this morning. I look for it every day! Love it.

1. Reply
      GF
      July 12, 2017 at 1:08 pm

I was having the same issue as Angie — didn’t unsubscribe or take any steps to do so, but didn’t receive your posts in my mailbox for about 3 weeks or so, fyi. I’ve subscribed for years and never had a problem.

2. Reply
      Belle
      July 12, 2017 at 1:31 pm

Oh good! Something happened with the Jetpack plug in. We’re building the new blog behind this one, and somehow it got turned off. I’m glad my developer was able to get it turned back on.

7. Reply
    SC
    July 12, 2017 at 2:32 pm

I’ve never used dry shampoo. My hair is super short though and washing it takes about 3 minutes, so, ehhhh. To each her own indeed!

8. Reply
    Mary G.
    July 13, 2017 at 11:23 am

I like to think of dry shampoo as God’s gift to busy women. I’ve even sprayed it inside my shoes in a pinch (it works!)